Dalgona Matcha Latte
We love a great Matcha Latte over at Art of Tea. Sometimes we keep it simple with just a Matchastick and our favorite mylk alternative and other times we start to add in things like cinnamon, mint, or even a bit of protein powder. Something we had yet to try though was the latest craze, a Dalgona Matcha Latte.
Inspired by our Pinterest, we thought we should try out this delectable looking Dalgona Matcha Latte recipe ourselves and see what our true thoughts are.
WHAT IS DALGONA ‘WHIPPED’ COFFEE?
Dalgona recipes, especially Dalgona coffee, have been all of the crazes on the web as of late. “Dalgona” is the South Korean word for a type of honeycomb candy. Dalgona coffee is a whipped coffee drink made up of instant coffee, sugar, and water. After whipping these 3 simple ingredients together, you can then serve hot or cold with warm milk for a top-notch beverage.
WHAT IS DALGONA ‘WHIPPED’ MATCHA?
We decided to scour the internet to find what we thought would be the best Dalgona Matcha Latte recipe but first had to figure out what exactly that was. Turns out - *surprise surprise*- a Dalgona Matcha is made the same way as a Dalgona Coffee with the exception of subbing the instant coffee for powdered matcha! You can create the matcha froth by combining egg white (or aquafaba if you like), sugar, and matcha powder.
WHAT CAN I ADD TO CUSTOMIZE MY DALGONA LATTE?
Customize and invent your own version of this latte with things like:
- a pinch of pumpkin spice seasoning
- edible essential oils like mint
- a slice of citrus fruit like lime
- 1 egg white or 2 tbsp aquafaba (aka chickpea liquid)
- 1 tbsp sugar granulated white, turbinado, or cane
- 1 Art of Tea Matchastick
- 1 cup milk or mylk alternative
- Whip the egg white (or aquafaba) until it is frothy and mostly stiff with a whisk, hand mixer, or handheld frother.
- Add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks form and it sticks to your whisk.
- Sift in the matcha powder. Whisk it in until incorporated.
- Add the milk to a cup. Top with the whipped matcha and sip!